Holiday Christmas Sweaters: Yay or Nay?

Holiday Christmas Sweaters: Yay or Nay?

My family and I take portraits twice a year, but the holiday photo is the one I look forward to most. I put a lot of thought into styling our portraits. This year we went with a Nordic holiday sweater theme. This was a fun, tongue-in-cheek styling choice on my part because holiday sweaters are so often viewed as tacky and the subject of ridicule. Just like the holiday fruitcake, it’s the gift everyone wants to give away (except me – I love fruitcake, lol!).

Despite its bad rep, I really like the look of a traditional holiday sweater that isn’t too gaudy. It’s such an American fashion tradition. Confidence is required when wearing this classic style! And I had no doubt my guys could pull it off.  Here are a couple of poses from our shoot.

Have you (or your family) ever rocked a holiday sweater, or is this a fashion risk you’re just not willing to take?

My Look

Dress: Connected Apparel/JCPenney | Bracelet: Vintage Escada | Shoes: Nine West

Derek’s Look

Sweater & Plaid Shirt: American Living/JCPenney | Khaki Slacks: Dockers

30 Responses to Holiday Christmas Sweaters: Yay or Nay?

1. NYC Single Mom says:

I think the boys look fab – its just the right touch of christmas. now if you were one, I would say nay but all of you look just beautiful

Aww…the boys are so big. I vote yay for wearing holiday sweaters. Not all of them are tacky. Just takes an eye for picking the right one & pairing it with right bottoms & accessories.

3. Qiana says:

OMG! now THIS is what I’ve been waiting for! to see the family!!! You guys look incredible as always..BUT LOL at how glamorous you look! I can’t wait till the boys are older like late teens and they look back on those pics..they’re gonna say our Mom is sooooo beautiful! Although I’m still quietly praying for you guys to have a girl one day…you deserve one! lol!! Love you sooooooo much and Happy Holidays! Love Qiana and Kelsey Bea!

4. Sara says:

I think there’s nothing wrong with Holiday sweaters for times like this, in a photo but generally I am not a fan of them. It’s ok for others to wear them but I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of them. My mom is one of those people that wears holiday sweaters that have applique or or beads and sequins on them, its fine for her but I would never and will never wear those. lol

5. kaye says:

Hey, I’m with you, I like fruitcake too! I think the sweaters are perfect. Lovely family photo.

Have a wonderful week! My WW is HERE

6. Not a Sweater fan myself, but they pull it off nicely. To each their own!

I am following the WW bloghop and followed you via GFC as masugr. hope you can stop by mywildcrazylife.blogspot.com and follow me as well!

7. Kim says:

Glad to see Derek got the memo and decided to smile this time! You must be very proud of your family.

8. SO, next year you’ll wear trees and snowflakes and they get to look all dapper? 😉
    It’s actually really cute!
    Check out my WW http://peekababyny.com/wordlesswednesday/post-697/

9. alissa apel says:

My husband would never wear one. I kind of like the look though.

10. Beautiful family photo! I like the sweaters. I wanted to get some this year, but I never had time, so maybe we’ll wear Christmas sweaters next year.

11. YAKINI!!!! What. An. Attractive. Family!!!

I don’t always like holiday Christmas sweaters, but you guys make it look DAMN GOOD. Ya’ll are killing it! You look GORGE in that red dress and lipstick, girl! I haven’t seen pics of Chase and Bryce in so long — they look WAY too cute! I love them! xoxo

12. aunt jo says:

ok, so the idea is for everyone else to wear these idiotic sweaters and you look like the fashionista who wouldnt be caught dead in a fashion faux pas LOL…just kidding.. i love the look for the entire family… its the holidays after all!

13. tami says:

LOL, chile I have pics I need to dig out of us over the years in dreadful sweater. Im not a big fan of he holiday sweater but more colored coordinated ones. You guys look great but surprised you didnt wear one. Just the other day they had a segment on GMA talking about this very same thing. It is funny to say the least. Happy Holidays!

14. osato says:

lovely beautiful pictures and family
    xo Dior

15. Jeannie says:

Visiting from Monday Mingle….what a gorgeous family! I love the sweaters….kinda Norman Rockwell-ish. You look beautiful in red.

16. Niqua Moore says:

I am shocked that hubby did not protest the sweaters considering that you decided did not wear one. He is such a sport because I would have objected and convinced the judge and jury as well…not because of a fashion faux pas, but because of that reason only *lol*. The pictures are amazing though. The children look like naturals in front of the camera.

Happy Holidays!

Yakini, these photos are fabulous! I absolutely love the boys in the Christmas sweaters. And you look SPECTACULAR in that red dress. You kind a steal the show 😉

18. ReneeG says:

I’m not usually a fan of Christmas sweaters but I like how your portrait turned out. The red sweater dress you chose is a great contrast. Beautiful family!

19. Desiree says:

The picture is so adorable but NOOOOOO to the sweaters! lol

20. I love the picture but nay on holiday sweaters in General. I am shocked D put on one. HE is really a trooper and good sport. Ya’ll look so picture purrrrfect! 🙂

21. Shelly says:

Oh my goodness what GORGEOUS family photos! I really do like the sweaters and I would do the holiday/winter theme for the boys as you did and go with a solid for myself…if I had all boys that is! They came out great and I am so amazed at how big your sweet boys are!!

22. I say NAY for me but I make absolutely no commentary on your STUNNING family. LOL

23. Earthangel172 says:

YAY! I think where some people go wrong is when their clothing is too “Christmas-y”. Your dress really balances out the guys’ sweaters so it comes off as being classic and traditional. I’m lovin’ it!

24. Shantel says:

Everyone looks amazing.

25. I think your family are the only ones that could pull this off! Fab! Beautiful family!

26. Teanika says:

You look pretty and have a gorgeous family. PS I love this Blog

27. I looooooove it! What a nice looking family. Your boys are too cute! I don’t think I’ve seen very many pics of the youngest one. You did a good job with the outfit choices and your red sweater dress just set the sweaters off.