Color Block Challenge: 4 Outfits for Under $100

Color Block Challenge: 4 Outfits for Under $100

Girls, are we over this trend yet?

We saw a lot of color blocking on the Spring 2011 runway and it continues to be hot since it involves the use of bold, vibrant colors, which is always fun for summer. I decided to take on a personal color blocking challenge, inspired by Mr. Goodwill Hunting.

It’s obvious that I have a penchant for high fashion, but also enjoy creating designer looks “for less” to get more bang for my buck. My challenge was to come up with four different color blocking looks for under $100. So let’s begin, shall we?

Outfit #1

This look was inspired by Katy Perry in Gucci on the March 2011 issue of Elle. It’s always fun taking a celeb look and redesigning it to fit my own style and budget.

Katy’s outfit was a tad too “runway glam” for an everyday look, so I took a similar color scheme and created a casual summer outfit with linen blazer, sleeveless top, and a gold braided belt recycled from my sister’s “junk” pile. I added an electric blue mini skirt for that pretty pop of blue we see on the Elle cover.

A very wise and talented stylist once said, “it’s the fit that makes the fashion.” So I did splurge on getting my thrifted jacket tailored ($10), bringing this Gucci-inspired outfit to a whopping total of $28.50.

Blazer: Thrifted $5.99 | Draped Blouse: T.J. Maxx Clearance $10.00 | Belt: Wet Seal | Skirt: Thrifted $2.50 | Shoes: Badgley Mischka Humbie II Peep-Toe Pumps

Outfit #2

This outfit came about simply because I fell in love with the blouse.  The chartreuse color was perfect and it was also on clearance at T.J. Maxx.  I knew a pretty skirt or slim pant would set this silk blouse off right and when I found this gorgeous iridescent pencil skirt it all just came together. The skirt is a bit loose and needs to be tailored and, since I got it for such a steal, I plan to do just that. I was really excited to find this skinny, taupe bow belt, as it was a perfect match for the Fishnet Bow Slingbacks I planned to wear with the outfit.

With the right accessories, this one is a fun “work look” for me (I’d probably throw on a blazer though, since I tend to err on the more conservative side at the office).

Roll-Neck Blouse: (Willi Smith) TJ Maxx $9.99 | Skirt: Thrifted 5.99 | Belt: T.J. Maxx $14.99 | Shoes: Christian Louboutin

This look came to $30.97!  We’re still under $100, girls.  So let’s go on!

Outfits #3 & #4

The final two looks were inspired by Anthony Williams, Stacey Dash’s stylist on VH1’s “Single Ladies.”  We all remember the famous pink and green color blocking ensemble with the cobalt blue heels she wore in Episode 7, yes?  Well, I loved that color scheme and ran with it.

Mind you, I’m a longtime fan of green and we all know that PINK is my signature color. But being a Delta I tend to shy away from rocking the two together (my SistaGreeks feel me on this one).  However, the splash of blue that he added transformed these colors into something brilliant and magical for me.

So this is my tribute to his genius.

Coolats: Thrifted $5.99 | Top: Thrifted $2.50 | Belt: Wet Seal | Shoes: (Steve Madden) Thrifted $14.99 | Earrings: Mandee Clearance $4.00

Top: Arden B. | Pants: (Express) Thrifted $2.50 | Shoes: Thrifted $5.00 | Earrings: Mandee Clearance $4.00

When I combined the total of all four looks (excluding shoes and Arden B. top, which I already owned) it came to a grand total of $99 – looks like I just made it!!!

So, how did I do girls? What’s your fav look, and what did we hate?

If you missed my segment on The Pulse Network’s “The Look,” you can catch me dishing about color blocking ideas HERE!

52 Responses to Color Block Challenge: 4 Outfits for Under $100

1. Meredith Ball says:

I love that last one too. Glad you enjoyed it, i’ve gotta update my “lookbook” more often. That sounds like a fun challenge to take. You are gorgeous my friend!

2. Roslyn Pacheco says:

That sounds like a fun challenge to take. You’ll land that Vogue cover soon. Just kidding! Add some pink bangles and earrings, and you’ve color blocked with blue, green, and pink.

3. Adriana Perkins says:

#3 is my least favorite too. You look great in all the outfits, but #1 is my absolute fave! Thank you lady! but i hope u know what i mean!

4. Aixa says:

That sounds like a fun challenge to take. The last outfit is definitely the best!

5. OMG!!!! You are so fashionable!!! I am SO feeling that mini skirt outfit. WORK IT, YAKINI!!!! That blazer is amaze! Where do you shop b/c I need to go with you sometime. These deals are amazing!!!

6. Kay says:

You look great in all the outfits but i love number 4 the most, the shoes are fabulous. You are gorgeous and i love your blog.

7. I’m loving look #2 & #4…and the blue shoes are to die for!!!

8. K-Dija says:

Love all of it!!! Seriously:)

9. Krissy says:

I’m loving the 1st and the last look best! Color blocking is cool. I don’t think it’ll just be fad.

10. Kerri says:

Yakini – AMAZING!
    Perfect combinations of the what is in.
    Love it!

11. Meka says:

GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!! I have to find a way to commit to your blogs. Miss a day, miss a lot. I think when I settle the girls down for the night, I really need to get my prissy mommy blog read on!!! You are great! First the boys are getting so big,(tear). Second, I am team first pic of the 4 for $100. This is so not you and I love it. I am use to hearing you being most comfortable in your coolats, but this was daring and full of hotness! You go girl! Sexy wife and mommy, you have to hit em with bringing sexy back from time to time and you were fierce!!!!!!! The colors were bold and daring and I admire that, seeing as though I am boring with safe colors!!!!!! Style numbers two and three are classic Yakini and as always great looks as well. Love the green shoes in the last pic! Green is my color! Go Girl!

The first outfit is my fave, but I love all the shoes!!

13. I LOVE all the looks but my first one is my favorite! You are gorgeous my friend! 🙂

14. Monica J says:

My fav is the first one, because you are working that skirt. You did an amazing job finding great pieces for afforadable prices. You make color blocking look so easy. Work it!

15. Shelly says:

Oh how nice!! Brie would love to see this since she likes a lot of color. She told me when she was about 7 that I need to stop worrying about matching so much. Funny how color blocking is the thing to do these days. I think I most love the last outfit and you sure did good with your $100 budget 🙂

16. Farrielle says:

I love them all but my fave is the last one, I love those colors.

17. Lois says:

This was such a fun post to read you look fabulous!!!!!!!!

18. OMG!! !*claps* You look fabu! Look at that shape and those hips! And you had 2 kids??? Get outta here!!! Gimme that blue shirt and those Louboutin’s chick!!!

19. Cam says:

I think you worked it! I really like the second and third looks. Hadn’t thought much about color blocking. I’ll have to try it!

20. Thanks so much for linking up to Monday Mingle over at Momtrends. Love the pops of color and on a budget! You’ll land that Vogue cover soon.

21. Tami says:

I cant choose! They all look Fabulous on you! xoxo

22. I really liked #1 and #4. These made me want to go out to the store! #2 is really cute too!
    #3 I don’t like as much to be honest. I don’t think it flatters your lower half as well. Maybe for work it is fine.

23. nabs says:

lol, i dont know what i enjoyed more–the post itself, or reading the comments afterward. u look FABULOUS! eboni and i were just chatting about u the other day…and the fact that the glam u is such a rarity, and a missed one at that!!! u are something else for going to 2 different extremes like that (cringes at the flashback of you in your LASIK recovery goggles, smh). just make sure ur representing like that when i see u next wknd, mmkay??

ur hair looked so long and healthy and full! and the outfits were ofcourse all fabulous. lol, it was so cute to see u in a mini-skirt, hahahahah!! that was definitely a first! lol @ u shuddering at the word “full-figured,” hahahaha!! it’s funny, because usually when ppl use such terminology, it’s really just a euphemism for “big-boned,” etc, but in reality, those are the perfect descriptive words to describe yall petite yet voluptuous chicks, like beyonce.

again i say…it must be nice! please dont be expecting me to look up to par, cuz it aint happening cap’n!

• Bika says:

lmao, yea, i knew “full figured” would sound real bad as soon as i typed it. but i hope u know what i mean! you definitely aren’t overweight, big-boned, etc. but the problem with “curvy/voluptuous” is that it’s a bit over used to include people like kim kardashian, who in reality is a size 2! she’s still thin, but happens to have a 34DD and medium/large booty. i’m sure once she has a few kids and gets about your size, ppl will be so quick to start calling her “fat” smh. and she probably WON’T ever get that size because of the pressure. so i just feel you represent for women who are *normal* sized, not just super skinny size 0-2. because you can still look soo pretty, healthy, cute, petite etc. even with some thickness and society needs to realize that!

24. Kristin says:

I’m not going to be over this trend anytime soon! I styled a look for Neiman Marcus in the same color palette that you’re rockin’ in the first pic!

25. You did a fab job on all of the outfits but I am absolutely living for #1. WOW!!!

26. Iman says:

I think you look fab in all of them but #1 is it!!! You are such a haute mom! Werkkkkkkk!!!

27. Wow x 4!! I can’t decide whether I’m more blown away by how amazing you look or more blown away by the price of all of these items!

And don’t worry sistergreek, I’ve been known to rock crimson erry now and then :-p

28. LaShaun says:

The look with the blue off-the-shoulder top is my favorite! Classy Chic

29. Miriam says:

I love the outfits. #1 love the colors on that. The fact that u are representing for us curvy girs is amazing. Can you do one with jeans or offer some suggest. I ran out of CB Ideas for my jeans.

i love this post! #1 is definitely my fav…and #4 a close runner-up! i love electric blue, and i’m really into skirts and blouses these days, so that outfit was genius. color blocking is definitely still in and a trend that never really goes out of style. it just got really famous this year for some reason. definitely not a fan of those kulatts, but that’s just me haha. and last but not least, your body looks so good! you are really representing for the “fuller figured” women…i know that sounds bad, and don’t take it the wrong way lol but it’s good to see someone who has curves but still looks like a barbie!

• SiBonita says:

lol @ hating on the coolats! i actually LOVED wearing coolats when i was a kid (those were some of my “feel cool” outfits, lol)..and i recently bought some high-waisted light blue jean coolats from a thrift store out here in LA. i know, i know..that sounds crazy, lmao..but there was something just so funky about them, and i have faith that i can figure out a way to wear them! haha

• Sybil says:

I love all of the outfits….However I’m really feeling the blue & green shoes….

31. SiBonita says:

LOVE!! the first one is my fave..i’m all about a mini skirt and a blazer. matter of fact, have that blazer waiting for me next time i visit..thanks!! lol

• SiBonita says:

i’m DEAD serious! i’m going to email you my new address (since i’m moving at the end of the month), and i’ll transfer you some moolah for shipping. thanks, boo!!

32. You did GREAT! My fav are 2 and 4 but they all are HOT. You have inspired me to get on the color block!

33. Wow, I love all of these color block options, great job! You look amazing! You’ve gained a new follower! 🙂

34. Mitch says:

Who is that gorgeous girl?????

35. Deandra says:

Love look #2! I’ve got to know what thrift store YOU shop in b/c I never see pieces that cute. lol

36. Kenesha says:

You look great in all the outfits, but #1 is my absolute fave!

37. Eboni says:

Excellent, excellent EXCELLENT job! I love the vibrant colors, and the prices!

I cant wait to get back to my normal body…in a few months, I’ll be able to join you in challenges like this! lol

I honestly love every single look. Where are you thrifting? These pieces are amazing! I think I like the last look the best bc I love colored jeans. But those Louboutins, my goodness!

39. K. Rock says:

The first look is the best. It really seems to the one that brings out the essence of what color blocking really is. Great job with all the looks! This is fun!

40. Priscilla says:

I love, love 1, 2 & 4. You are rocking that mini skirt.

41. Fatimah says:

I love all the looks! I am going to give the color blocking thing a try soon!

42. mixedbunny says:

I loved this post!!! My fave was the first one. I have to admit blazers are not my fave because I always feel my arms are too long lol but you are rocking that outfit! I like the 2nd one’s colors but I’m tend to stay away from iridescent- I don’t know why. I just realized I’m starting to sound silly ha! Never considered coolats and outfit 4 was great too. I def fwd’d this post on. 🙂

43. Shey says:

Love them all but my favorite is the first one!