Brown Girl, Pink Lip

Brown Girl, Pink Lip

Photo Credit: MAC Cosmetics

You may have heard the buzz around the blogosphere when Nicki Minaj and MAC Cosmetics teamed up to create a limited edition lipstick to celebrate the release of her debut album “Pink Friday.” I’m a longtime lover of her signature lip color! It’s a beautiful pop of pink and looks great on her. Plus, I was intrigued by the whole exclusivity bit – you see, Pink Friday lipstick was only available online for four Fridays starting November 26th and ending on Friday December 17th.

So Pink Friday is described as a “bright creamy pink” with a satin finish.  I’ve read comparisons of this lipstick to Lady Gaga’s MAC Viva Glam, but this one appears to have more of a purpleish tone. It’s also close to Saint Germain from the Sugarsweet and Euristocrats II collections, Snob, Pink Nouveau, and Melrose Mood from the Heatherette collection.

MAC Pinks I Own (l to r): Pink Friday, Melrose Mood, Entice Lip Glass, Love Child Lip Glass, Varneesh Lip Lacquer, Jazz-Y-Razz Pro Longwear Lustre

Pink Friday (l) and Melrose Mood (r) are nearly identical

Photo Credit: We Should Makeup

I was curious about whether or not an NC46 brown girl like me could pull off such a bold pink lip. While I’ve never been afraid of pink, I generally prefer more of a muted shade.  My long-time staple is MAC Varneesh Lip Lacquer – a pale rose/brownish color that looks nice on most skin tones. Varneesh is perfect when you’re playing up your eyes and just want something simple and pretty on the lips.

My thoughts on Pink Friday? Well, like most satin formulas, it feels creamy on my lips and is way pigmented – so a little goes a long way!  Also, as has been my experience with many satin lipsticks, it gathered flakes on my lips since they weren’t properly moisturized first.  So I had to spend some time cleaning little flakes off my lips as well as the lipstick.

After trying it on I realized I definitely needed to pair this with a bronze or plum liner and/or glossy topcoat to tone down the color a bit.  Without anything at all, it’s way too chalky on my lips and a little too “Barbie pink” for my liking!

Pink Friday Without Liner or Top Coat

Pink Friday With MAC Current Liner and Entice Lip Glass

In sum, Pink Friday is really dramatic and pretty and I could totally see myself wearing it for a night on the town with girlfriends or date night with the hubs. Do I see myself wearing this out on a regular basis? Probably not. It took way too much doctoring up to make it wearable (for me). Do I regret my purchase?  No way! In my opinion, this lipstick is a collector’s item, especially if you’re a Nicki Minaj Fan. I only wish it’d been sold in stores, so I could have sampled it at the MAC counter before buying. I’d have then known to leave it NRFB, which would have enhanced its collectability.

Thoughts?

61 Responses to Brown Girl, Pink Lip

1. Tiara says:

I rarely wear a lip color so I am sooo not ready for pink friday! What color are you wearing in the picture on the side? That’s a really soft subtle pink – I love that!

That is my long-time MAC favorite Varneesh. Understated but SO gorgeous! It’s discontinued now, i believe, but I have several alternatives that are close. I’ll look in my makeup bag and find out the names for you.

(You probably could find Varneesh on ebay though – but i bet it’ll cost you!)

2. PS: I tried this look with NYX Narcissus Lipstick. OMG! Talk about bright. But I toned it down w/ Sephora #20 lipgloss..and it wasn’t bad but still SUPER risky. I don’t think I can do this on a date w/ a guy..maybe a fun day out with the girls who can appreciate such fashion risks

3. Cynthia says:

Hey! I liked the toned down version better. One of my best friends who has a light skin tone, wasn’t able to pull this off as well as you have.

I don’t think that it would look as good on me as it did on you.

I think it would look nice on you – our shade is similar but you’re a little lighter.

And I agree – toned down version is WAY better!

4. Krissy says:

I don’t like that chalky pink. They gave away a pink like that a few years back. I forget what its called( I think california or something of that nature) it was yuck! Lol. I just don’t think that color pink looked good on anyone tho. No matter how light or dark your skin is.

You do look great though. If I didn’t know you had to children I definately wouldn’t believe it 🙂

Hi Krissy! Thx for your comment – LOVE your candor. 😉

I agree, it is way too chalky for my liking. In person it’s an even more shocking pink than the pics! Like I said, it took a LOT of work to make this one wearable…. so not sure how often I’ll be wearing this one out the house

5. Patty says:

I love this color on you! 🙂 I tend to stick with the mauve colors which have a hint of pink in them. Bravo for giving it a try 🙂

6. Rae says:

When I initially saw the color, I was on the fence..so thanks for being brave enough to try it 🙂 I like it more with the liner and gloss over it. Like you said, I think that it’d be great for a night out. It adds a great va-va-voom..looks wonderful on you.
    rae
    blushblog

7. Hey Yakini!

I am SO glad you didn’t leave us! I remember reading your blog back when you were pregnant with Chase and you did blogging about your hair and makeup, I missed it 😉 so glad you have returned better than ever! (hugs)

I LOVE Mac cosmetics, and that lush pink looks fab on you, I’ll have to check it out!

8. NYCSingleMom says:

Love the color and the new site.

You are one of the few people who can take pics of themselves.

I can not wear that color, I have tried but it works for you.

Thank you Linda! 🙂

I’m sure it would look pretty on you, since our complexions arent so far off. It is a daring color though, so who knows if I’ll really be bold enough to leave home with it. LOL

9. Nika says:

love the new site! and I love the pink lip on you, it’s perfect for spring/summer.

10. Loving the new site already! That color fits your complexion, I think I’d be too shy to even attempt such a bold color but you make it Prissy lol. And that headshot is THE BUSINESS!!! So happy for you!

11. Bethany McGowan says:

I’m really excited to see that you’re doing a fashion and beauty blog! I love Prissy Mommy Chronicles, even though I don’t have kids; I feel like I’m getting an insider’s look. I’m sure these posts will be excellent as well. Your head shot is beautiful!

Bethany, thanks so much!!! (((hugs)))

I’m going to continue to keep PrissyMommy updated, and am so excited that folks will get to see yet another side of me thru the StyleMe site. 🙂

12. Yakini!!! Your headshot looks GORG! Congrats on Style Me Prissy… I’m super excited for you! Definitely a step in the right direction and what you were looking for. So so proud of you! That shade of pink is such a hard color to pull off, but I think it looks good against your skin complexion.

xoxo

Thank you!!!

Im excited too – and yes, absolutely what I was looking for. I now feel like I have the perfect balance and best of all worlds, with my 3 blogs: personal, reviews, and beauty/style. So happy!

Now I just hope all ya’all are being honest with me about this lipstick… have me walk out the house looking crazy!

LOL

13. Cheryl Pope says:

Love your new blog, Yakini. The lip stick looks good on you. I don’t know if I could pull it off but Nicki does it justice. Thanks for an honest review. A lot of people try to wear celeb products not knowing what it takes to maintain. Good Job. BTW, I will begin folllowing your new blog, too.

14. Latasha says:

Totally love the look on you!!! It looks good. I also think that maybe Tati should try this (hint, hint) , I think she could pull this off also.

• admin says:

Thank you Latasha!

And I agree with you – with Tati being so good with makeup, she could easily do something pretty with her eyes and make this pink work for her.

15. SUNSHINE says:

Omg…I love the lipstick on you. I love MAC makeup. I noticed the new shade but I was a little skeptical becaue of my dark skin. You have convinced me to atleast try it. thanks…good luck with her new transition…

• admin says:

Sunshine, thanks so much! It has grown on me, but I’m still a bit hesitant to go out in public with it (lol). All of the comments in this post are making me feel like I could pull this off.

I actually googled other reviews of this lipstick, and found several beauty bloggers with a dark brown complexion reviewing this – for some it worked, others it didn’t. You should totally google a few reviews and see for yourself! 🙂

16. Shelly says:

Yakini, you could wear DIRT on your lips and still pull it off! You look so good and I think that your skin-tone works nicely with the pink. I am so excited about your new “girly” blog and the whole transition. How fun and scary at the same time.

• admin says:

Shelly, so funny because I wasn’t sure if such a bright color would go over well, but the more I look at the pic the cuter it is(lol). Still quite drastic in person though, so not sure how often I’ll be wearing it!

Yes, sooo fun & also nerve-wracking, as new adventures tend to be!!! Thank you so much for your never-ending support!! ((hugs))

Congratulations on the new site girlie! That photo of you is to die for!!

• admin says:

Jill!!!!! ((hugs))
      Thanks lady ~ so excited about Style Me Prissy! 🙂
      That profile picture is actually one of my headshots from when I competed in the Miss New York USA Pageant a few years back.

18. Tshego says:

You are looking soooooooooooooo pretty. I have a feeling I am gonna be spending so much time on this blog. Style me Prissy looks great. Congrats.

hehehehehe..*giggles*…your hair is ssssssoooooooooooo FINE. Do u still henna? I have been putting it aside for war to long and i am only kicking myself for not trying it earlier. I LOVE HENNA.

All the best my dear and I love ur style.

• admin says:

Thank you lady!!!

You know, I haven’t Henna’ed in a few years – since leaving my apartment in Brookyln and moving in with DH. In my own place, I wasn’t really bothered by the big mess it made (splattering all over the bathroom, staining the tub when I washed it out, etc.) because I could clean it on my own time. But living with someone is different, and I wasn’t willing to go through all that. BUT I do miss how Henna made my hair look (super thick and shiny) so I’m trying to figure out a way I can do it but with minimal clean-up.

Miss our chats!!! 🙂

19. Heather says:

Hi! Back to follow back!

20. ReneeG says:

I love the second, more muted version on you. You look great and you have the most beautiful hair!

• admin says:

Likewise, Renee – the second is much cuter! 🙂

Thanks so much – trust me, there will be plenty of hair regimen stuff on this blog too!

21. Lisa says:

LOVING your new place. it’s so you! *HUGS*

22. SiBonita says:

love it!! and LOVE the new site!!!! i actually own the Lady Gaga pink (which, as you mentioned, is very similar to Nicki Minaj’s “pink friday”), and i fell in love with it when i saw someone else sporting it in the Mac store about a year ago. i’ve recently become more comfortable experimenting with new colors (other than my infamous nude lip, LOL), and it can be really fun to sport a new look. the light pink is definitely one of my faves, though sometimes i worry about looking too washed out with my lighter skin tone. it’s definitely a day by day or night by night decision on whether i’m in the mood for it.

btw, “up the amp” and “girl about town” are two of my FAVE pink lips right now!! you should try these out next time you’re in Mac.

• admin says:

Oh cool, thanks for those recs!

Wow, I had no idea you had the Viva Glam – do you have any pics on FB wearing it?!! I’d love to see.

I agree, definitely a day by day/night by night decision – the mood has to hit me before I go for such a dramatic look. I would think it’d look really nice with your complexion, but you are right – it’s drastic on any complexion and takes some pre-planning.

• SiBonita says:

yup! in my photo album “the district” — photos 24 and 33. and in my “profile picture” photo album where i’m sporting the purple wig for halloween 🙂

• admin says:

Oh, that looks really nice on you!

It looks the most dramatic in the purple wig pic. Its pretty in the other pics but honestly looks so close to your own natural (very) pink lip color. lol

23. I LOVE the site..first of all. And that lipstick is gorgeous. I thought about getting it myself…but I wasn’t sure I can pull it off. Given that we aren’t that far off in skin tone..I might can pull it off. I maybe can find it on Ebay! 🙂

24. How did you get your hands on that exclusive limited color? You must have had it on pre-order! LOL! I like it either way, looks great! It looked white on me and purple after lining it with MAC Current lip liner. FAIL. LOL

• LOL, okay, so I started late (Week 2) because I just wasn’t hip on it initially. By the time I had 3 Fridays left…. I attempted to stay up til midnight Thursday night (since thats what time the lipstick went on sale). But EVERY single time I was a wuss and just couldn’t make it. So I went to bed, reassuring myself that I would just get it first thing in the morning, when I wake up with the boys (6:00 am). But each morning, by the time I went online at 6 am, it was GONE! LOL

So I ended up ordering mine from ebay. I’m not proud of what I paid for it…. but I REALLY wanted it. lol

25. Mimi says:

You totally pulled it off with the liner and the lip glass on top. I actually like the pink lip, and I am also feeling the red lip. I am a little darker than you and not sure how it would look on me. I think I will take a visit to the MAC counter and see if I can pull it off.

BTW you look great!

• See, it’s funny, I love a red lip as well – but not on me. I’m way more courageous about trying pink than red. LOL!!! If you happen to review any reds that look nice, send the link my way so I can check it out!

26. I definitely like the toned-down version better. That’s a tough color to pull off, but it’s every bit as dramatic as she is. I love fun colors, but I’m afraid to put them on my lips. I usually am more adventurous with the eyes.

• ITA Denise! The toned down version is way better. The first version looked a tad scary in person. Like, if I walked out the door, folks would give me the side-eye.

Yes, I tend to be more open to taking more risks with my eyes as well…

27. eboni says:

I’ve just recently started experimenting with neutral color and pink lips. I personally don’t like the Pink Friday on NICKI MINAJ – but I do like it on you.

I have a few MAC pinks as well that I always get complimented on when I wear them. I blend them together though : Peach Stock, Boy Bait-which is a cremesheen glass and dazzle glass “my favourite pink”

28. Heather says:

I love it! You are so pretty!!